Alright, I don't often do this but I'm going to throw up a short little book review here. There are several reasons why this goes against my nature. One is that I have always hated book reports, and lets face it, that is exactly what a book review is. In fact, once we had to make a diarama for a book report in 5th grade. So that morning (having not read the book by the way) I emptied a cereal box into my bowl and, while eating breakfast, cut out a side of the box and drew stick figures in pencil on the dark cardboard inside. It looked like someone had taken a pair of scissors to a cereal box, but that's exactly what it was. Yes, I do take a lot of pride in my work so I was embarassed, but I hate book reports. The other thing is that people who attend book clubs and such either have a personality that really annoys me or I just get way to much pleasure out of poking them in the ribs. My favorite book report was presented by my brother in law. He didn't read Shogun (although he watched the show) and for their reports they were supposed to show up and do a little presentation as one of the characters in the book. So he went to class wrapped up in some robe and started spouting off in jibberish. When the teacher told him to speak understandibly he calmly turned to her and replied, "Lord Toronaga does not speak English!" He then continued his tirade of jibberish. For his effort he got an A. All right, I guess I better get to it.
I REALLY liked this book. I also know a lot of people who I would be able to stand a little better if they read it. Therefore, I had to write this review. It's a great book and it works well as a little bathroom reader. It is short, understandable, and funny. The greatest thing is that this book was written in the 1950's and is probably more applicable now then it was then. It is called "How to lie with statistics". The book goes step by step through all of the ways people, corporations, special interests, government, etc. use statistics to lie. It's a little reminiscent of King Benjamin's line, "I cannot tell you all the things whereby ye may commit sin." The book is insightful and painfully honest. Those of you have have read "Freakonomics" have seen first hand how lying with statistics can even produce a best seller. Anyway, pick yourself up a copy. You'll enjoy it and you might even learn something. By the way, 84.6% of the people who read this blog will go find the book, don't be one of the 15.4% who miss out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment