Some of you may have noticed from pictures on the family page, or by seeing me in person that I currently have something more than a little scruff or dirt on my chin. Yes, it is an all out BEARD. This beard has almost made me wish I was a psychology student, but I'm still against knowingly punishing myself so that will never happen.
People I'm sure have wondered: how can he have a beard at a school known for its strict anti-beard policy? I'm sure people on campus have wondered this. Let's just say that before the beard people would walk by me looking at their toes, now they walk by staring at my chin. I don't think its because people are generally more outgoing this semester either.
To date, only two people have actually asked me if I have the fabled "beard card". Surprisingly neither of them were my research advisor either. Both of them were in the physics department. This is surprising considering I've received services in the student health center, the Wilkinson Student center, the key office, and the bookstore. In fact the girl who took the picture you see on my student ID didn't ask me either. How could she do that?
Perhaps some of you are wondering if I walked up to the right people carrying a couple Benjamins for moral support. Those who know me better know that I don't have the money to indulge my fancies in that manner. So maybe I'm just gutsy? Maybe I think I'm getting away with something?
It's interesting to watch people's eyes and to see them struggle between assuming that I wouldn't have grown it so long if I didn't have the right permissions, and wanting to dislike me for blatantly ignoring an honor system they so loyally adhere to. My favorite reaction was actually not even on campus. It was from my neighbor. Upon opening her door to me one day she exclaimed "What in the world is that?!!!" As though I was cradling an alien. Actually, I was impressed that there wasn't a four letter word included in that. I replied, "It's a beard". "You can't have a beard," was the reply. "Why not?" I responded.
I have to admit this has been kind of fun for me. I wonder if anyone has taken the effort to contact the Honor Code Office. If they have, I haven't been notified. Oh, and by the way, there is no such thing as an "official beard card" at BYU.
2 comments:
Ah, but there USED to be...back in my days at BYU.
I think facial hair is yucky. That's the only reason why I bugged you about it, Chris. It's just a disgusting food trap.
Oh--by the way. I think you look like a terrorist on that student ID card of yours. Maybe Phil will start calling you Osama.
Post a Comment