Anyway, with this post I am going to do something that I have meant to do with this blog since its inception: use it to share at least a little of my research. For those who don't know I am working on a Ph.D. dissertation in Physics. My project consist of building a matter-wave interferometer based on calcium, and hopefully will expand to a dual-species apparatus using both calcium and strontium. Let me explain.
Interferometers do exactly what the name implies: they interfere things. Specifically, they interfere waves. At its most basic this is no different then taking a smooth body of water, creating a wave, and then watching as the wave bounces off of a wall back on itself with the troughs and peaks adding and subtracting as they pass through each other. To interfere waves in the best way, you need what is called a coherent source. This means that all the waves of a certain frequency are in phase with each other over a long enough distance, i.e. all the troughs and peaks at a certain frequency look like a sine wave when put together. In the case of light, normal ambient light (whether natural or electric) is not coherent, while laser light is coherent. While you can in fact make a simple enough interferometer with white decoherent light, an interferometer based on laser light becomes a powerful tool for precision metrology (the science of measureing things precisely). In fact, laser interferometers comprise some of the best detectors being used and built to look for gravity waves.
Now, you may recall from some introductory science class Einstein, the photo-electic effect, and the "wave particle duality of light". Meaning that in some instances we can observe light behaving like a particle while in others light seems to behave like a wave. Some time later a bright young man named de Broglie realized that maybe mass or matter has a duality as well. Maybe sometimes atoms act like waves while most of the time acting like a particle. It turns out that not only was he right, but if you can produce atoms with wave functions that are coherent (like the photons in laser light) then you can mix them in an interferometer. That is my project: to create a device which coherently interferes the waves associated with calcium atoms and then use it to measure and test cool stuff. Despite the extreme difficulty of this project and the frustration of experimental physics, I love doing this. Along the way I have developed the world's quietest, most diverse, diode laser current driver as well as a small catalog of lab standard scientific instruments that we use to run our experiments. And that is just the tip of the ice berg.
After years of building and developing I am actually getting close to turning the damn thing on. Bellow are some pictures I took of the inside of the vacuum chamber as I was assembling the interferometer. I'll try to explain to you what happens as best I can.
This picture shows where light first enters the vacuum chamber. The laser light that we use to manipulate the calcium's wave function gets focused by a lens down to the pinhole on the left of the picture. This has the effect of making the light look nice spatially which makes a difference to the atoms. The second optic recolimates the light after the pinhole and a mirror then sends the laser over to the rest of the interferometer.
A closeup of the lens that captures the blue flourescence from the atoms.
1 comment:
Yeah you're back to blogging! I love that your welcome back post is about your mistress...your laser. Sure I feel the love!
Can I make a blog request??? Great! Can you please blog about the house painting experience? I want to have it written down..but can't relive those painful memories!
I love you!
Post a Comment